Friday, May 27, 2011

1 is for 1st Place

By Lauren

Water splashed in my face as I race to the finish. Swimming backstroke as fast as I possibly could, this race I was ready to win. I had had a flip turn lesson with my swim coach earlier in the week, now I felt ready to win. As I had approached the flags I counted my stokes then flipped over. Flip, kick, then out, the best flip turn I had ever done. I had soared off of the wall. As I kept racing, sprinting toward the finish, I thought this has to be my best time ever. This meet was the last one of the season, if we won this we would move up a division. I looked a little to the side and saw all the coaches standing cheering. I thought to myself oh it would be cool if I was in first place, but Sophia is really fast so she is probably in first, it would be cool if I was in second or third. There the flags I was almost there, just a few more meters, sprint it in. I touched the wall and stood up, there was no one else in, I was in first place!!! I could hear everyone cheering. I was thrilled that I had just got first, and scored points for my team to win. As soon as I got out of the water my coach came over and game me a high- five "You just dropped five seconds off your best time!" (if you don't know that is a lot of time for a swimmer). I was really proud and happy at the same time really happy. Everyone kept congratulating me on my time and place. It was a really great day.

Life Lesson: With practice you can do anything, and never underestimate yourself.

1 comment: