Friday, May 6, 2011

F is for Fishing

By Lauren

The summer before I was in fifth grade I went with Will to my grandparents’ house for a few days. While we were there my grandpa took Will, my cousin Meredith, and me fishing. So we went down to the lake and got all set up. After fishing for a while we had lost lots of worms and hadn’t caught anything. A little while after that we had caught a small fish or two which we had thrown back.

Then I cast my line and I was sitting and sitting, then my line started to tug. I started to reel in my line slowly so I wouldn’t lose the fish. When I pulled it out I saw what I had caught. It was a bass about ten inches long. We decided to put it in a bucket to take home and show my grandma, since we didn’t have a camera.

So after fishing a little longer we hadn’t caught anything else and decided to go home. Meredith picked up the bucket right as a fly had landed on my fish, which made it freak out. Then right as Meredith picked it up the fish flopped out and onto the pavement. We all scrambled to try to pick up the fish, but it was too floppy and slippery. Meredith almost dove into the water to get the fish. So we drove home and just had to tell my grandma about my fish. But that night I got extra dessert for catching the biggest fish.

Life Lesson: Always bring a camera when fishing, because you never know what will happen. And also always put a lid on a bucket with a fish in it.

1 comment:

  1. The life lesson is so true! Once, my brother and I saw this really cool colorful fish, and we had no way of showing it to my mom. But we had to throw it back in.

    ReplyDelete