Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Q is for Queen Conch

By Helen

At first you think it'a all about key lime pie in the keys, but then, once you get past that, you realize conch is the native food. They serve conch fritters ( my favorite), conch fias and raw conch. You can eat all the conch you want, but it's never as good as finding a conch, I should know.
    For spring break a couple years ago my family and I drove down the keys visiting key Largo and Key West, but the most memorable was definitely Key Bahia Honda.
    It was hot with a cool breeze that brushed your hair so it tickled your face. But once we got on to Bahia Honda beach the breeze weakened like mother nature was saying, "Stop wind, this view is too pretty to tamper with." She was right of course, the view was... well there's not a word that can just describe it. It had endless, waveless, clear water so that about a quarter mile away you could see the rocks under the surface. By that time I couldn't look at it anymore, my legs where pulling me to explore it, I finally pulled my eyes away and went.
     We found a bunch of some sort of animal eggs and tons of sea weed and cool rocks. Then after an hour of walking around I found a conch shell! That's not the great part though, it had a live conch in it. I know this because a guy walked past and told us it was, at first he thought it was a hermit crab (yes they can get to be that big) but then he looked at closely and was like yep. I was so thrilled and will remember that forever.

Life Lesson: Explore and you might not know what you will find.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I just find broken shells an stuff

    ReplyDelete