Sunday, May 29, 2011

3 is for 3rd Place

By Silvia

"And the first place winner is-"
I kept my hopes high enough. Am I going to be in first place?
"Anonymous person!!!"
then the anonymous person who won 1st place went up onto the stage.
"Now the second place winner is-"
Again, I had my hopes up high.
"Another anonymous person!"
Then the person who won 2nd place went up onto the stage.
"Now the third place winner is-"
I knew my name was going to announced, like always.
My prediction was right, and I went onto the stage.
But I wasn't happy.
I mean, how can someone's lame drawing of a tree win first place? And how can a cheap drawing of a lawn win second.

After leaving the stage, I gave the certificate proving that I won THIRD place to my sister.
"Come on,"my sister said. "At least it's better than nothing."
"Yeah, but THIRD place? I never got to even TASTE first place." I tell her.
It's really true. I'm the person who is stuck at Third place. Never got to even taste the sweet victory of First place.
Well I have, but it was for little things like the first person to complete an equation at 5th grade.
I stare at the certificate. Another thing to hang on my wall of Third place things.

After that day, I had to go to school.
And apparently there was someone from the same contest in my class.
She walked towards me, and told me:
"you're lucky that you actually got into third place."
"Why?" I ask her.
"I always get a participant certificate whenever I go into a contest."
"Then shouldn't you try harder then?"
"Nah...." She then walked away.
I didn't even know that there were people like her.
After that day, I thought about what she said about always being a participant.
Maybe she wasn't that confident about herself. Or maybe she wasn't even trying in those contests.
But then I felt happy about winning Third place in most things. At least I didn't win Participate in the contest.

LIFE LESSON: Third place isn't that bad. Just try harder, and you'll probably be First place next time.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay. Sometimes, I don't get anything at all.

    ReplyDelete