Thursday, May 26, 2011

Z is for Zip Line

By Delgermaa

For my end of the year fifth grade field trip, I went on a zip line. It must have been one of the coolest things I have ever done.

We were all in groups, the whole fifth grade I mean. I was in group number three which meant I have to wait. I was kinda relieved that I was in third and not first. Since we had to wait, the teachers made us eat our lunch and some people just couldn't ( too scared.) I watched as the people climbed up at the ladder one by one. I saw the first person go and it looked terrifyingly fun. As the first group was done, the second group went up ( of course) and that was when it hit me. I was so calm about it, I wasn't freaking about it like the others. As I should mention, IT WAS NOT SO SCARY. But when as the time went by, my nerves suddenly grew. My palms were sweaty, and it was pretty hot because it was summer well almost.

Before I knew it, it was my group's turn. Okay, I was freaking out now and kind of shaking everywhere. My group had about 10 people so I made sure I was last but that did NOT happen. A classmate actually pushed me to be first! I gladly pushed him back to first. And my teacher made him go first. I stuck my tongue at him. He-he, I always win! But I was still NEXT to go! My teacher made me climb the ladder fast because so many fifth graders were waiting to go on.

I climbed the ladder, as I got to the top of the wooden bridge as I may call it. The staff lady buckled me into the belt and put some other safety things on and a helmet. I wiped the sweat off my forehead. Why is it so hot today? The lady led me to a bridge, no it wasn't at all. It was a black thick wire that you have to walk on to get on the other station and that was super scary. I mean I can't go on a string and not fall!! "Don't make me," I said to the lady.

"It's fine, you won't fall."

I gathered all my courage and stepped on the wire. "But if I die, tell my parents I love them." I said to the lady and she laughed. This is not a laughing matter. I walked very slowly, and when I mean very slowly I mean really slow. I looked down my peers waved at me. I tried to smile but couldn't.

I finished the path on wire. I wrapped my arms around the huge wooden thing that kinda looked like a tree. But the whole thing wasn't over yet, I still had the main part to go. The Zip line. I can't go on! This thing was LONG and was up pretty high. Other staff took off my cable from the string bridge and put another on the final zip line. I'm going to die. I grabbed on to the top part of the cable and closed my eyes. I was moving. I peaked a little. And as I looked, I could see everything. The top of the beautiful trees, the looks of my classmates as I pass them, and the sky was so clear that day. And I headed all the way down, the ride was so pretty to watch cause you were so high! I would love to go on again.

Life lesson: Try new things, you may never really see the world without doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment